Wednesday, February 6, 2013

On Unexpected Layovers, Interminable Workdays, and Valentines Day Crafts

My phone rang at about 11:45pm last night - it was a call from my eldest brother. And - SURPRISE! - he happened to be in DC for 18 hours!

In fact, he was as surprised as I was by this announcement. He had a layover at the Dulles airport in DC, and that layover ended up lasting until the next afternoon, so he would be around long enough to grab some breakfast with his sweet youngest sister. You know, if I could agree to get myself up and into the city at 8am...

But we sacrifice for those we love, so I got myself up an hour early and made my way into the city. This is how much I cared about seeing Chris - I got up an hour earlier than usual, on under 6 hours of sleep (I usually need more than that...), and I even did my hair so I could look nice for him! It's a trial for me to make it into work on time usually, so getting there even earlier was rather impressive, and I was glad to know I could do it. Overcoming challenges here, y'all!

And breakfast was lovely. We sat and chatted and discussed his recent journey to NYC with his wife (which sounded awesome!) and talked about how dad was a rockstar watching over his 5 kids - and his oldest kids were also rockstars for helping dad to be successful in this daunting task - and continued planning his trip with his family in a month, when they all come to visit me in DC! On purpose! It was such a nice way to start my Wednesday, I just loved it.

The one downside was that I felt like the day should've been half over when it was only 10am, and then this day just kept lasting and lasting and lasting, and I was certain it would never end. It was ridiculously busy, and honestly, I don't know how we survived it exactly. I guess by never really stopping to catch our breath and realize we were tired - because I kept my boss going and going. Good thing he's an energizer battery (literally - the pink fluffy suit keeps him warm when our office is cold, so that's a plus).

Luckily, the day ended on a somewhat high note. I was stressing out about a few things until roughly 7:15pm, but before I left work, I stopped with a coworker at a Congressional Reception happening in a hearing room near our office (we were invited - I wasn't just reception crashing...though it wouldn't be hard to do that around here), and the food was DIVINE. So good. It made me feel light and happy and at one with the world. Which was a feeling I needed at the moment, even if it disappeared along with my last bite of skewered salmon...

And after The Day That Wouldn't End, I spent a nice quiet evening making some Valentines day crafts. Our chief of staff has this really ugly ram's head, for a group she's part of right now, and I've been looking forward to covering with paper heart garlands ever since she brought it in 2 weeks ago. It's time that head got a little holiday spirit, amiright? I'll make sure to take a picture for you to see, if I succeed in making this fun surprise happen! I made a few other things tonight, instead of the garlands, but my creations are darling, fyi, and the garlands are next on the list.

Roller derby tryouts aren't until the Summer, and pottery classes are too expensive at the moment, so I think crafting is going to be what gets me through the grumpy, cold Winter. Mainly anything I can make with paper, because that's all I've got, as far as craft supplies go.

Watch out, y'all - I'm seeing a lot of origami cranes and flowers in my future!


#ohmygoshisthisnotthecutestthingever? #Iamgushingiloveitsomuch.

No comments: