Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The Ups and Downs of a Holiday Weekend

This weekend, I enjoyed a wonderful Easter holiday. I hope you did, as well!

I had Friday off, and I spent the cold, rainy day tucked inside my little home, reading in our recliner by the window. Good Friday had a high of about 45 degrees and misted/rained all day, which felt about right for what the day stands for. It was so nice having the house to myself and after getting ready for the day, it was nice to do nothing but read and rest a little. Then roommate Melissa and two of her friends who were in town for the weekend came home from their Maryland outing and we watched BBC's new show "Sherlock," which is really quite good. The day and evening were quite relaxing and enjoyable.

Except for when I went down to my room and found a mutant, man-eating spider on my bedroom floor just before the girls came home. That freaked the relaxedness right out of me.

It seems our organic bug spray an old roommate bought isn't very good. That spider stayed under a tupperware bowl, breathing in the organic fumes for about 4 hours before it was really dead. Yuck.

Saturday was a beautiful day. It was sunny and warm, and I got the house to myself again for the most part of the day. So I watched the beginning of the Goonies on TV, went for a run at the warmest part of the day, came home and finished the Goonies, then sat on the floor and stretched for about 2 hours while I watched the love of my life, Indiana Jones, as he battled and puzzled his way through the Last Crusade. 

I joined roommate M and her friends on a Ghost Tour of Old Town, a quaint old town with some interesting Revolutionary War and Civil War history. By the end of it, I wasn't thoroughly convinced that our tour guide wasn't a ghost herself. Our tour ended at a cemetery in the town, which seemed fitting for this Saturday before Easter.

And then we got home late and I found another giant spider in my bathroom. It got the same treatment as the last, but apparently I didn't spray enough crappy organic spray on it, because it was still alive and moving around the tupperware prison when I woke up the next day. I sprayed some more spray into the tupperware, and the spider went right for it, which led me to two possible conclusions: the poor spider had spent all night in horrible pain, just wanting to die, and it ran to the spray hoping to end its pain quickly; or that organic spray gave the spider a total buzz that it really enjoyed, but eventually the spray won out. 

Either way, I wasn't happy to have to deal with that again.

But Easter Sunday was absolutely beautiful, so I pushed those disturbing spider thoughts out of my head and enjoyed the day. I had a really lovely Easter, ate dinner with a few friends, and got home just as a thunderstorm was taking shape. 2 minutes later, giant hail rained down from the sky, which might have knocked me out if I'd still been outside. The hail quickly switched back to pouring rain, and the thunderstorms were beautiful! I have been waiting for a really good, house-shaking thunderstorm, and we finally got it!

I spent the evening writing in my journal and watching the storm, while roommate M and her friends watched a show. My last comment in my journal was noting how beautiful the storm was, and "the last gift I could receive would be if my basement wasn't flooded from all the rain." I expressed the same sentiment to the girls as I got up to go to bed, and wished them good night, then walked down to my room.

The basement had flooded.

It was like I had jinxed myself somehow. We couldn't reach our landlord after multiple calls and texts, so after cleaning up a bit of the water and moving my stuff around (the floor is uneven, so the water all went to one side of my room), we left it for the landlord to see in the morning, and I went to sleep on the couch.

My landlord got an earful from a tired and frustrated tenant when he came over at 6am, and I was told it'd be all cleared up when I got home from work. And it was - except for one corner of my room that still seemed quite wet, somehow. Not cool.

At any rate, it's all cleaned up (mostly) now, and my room is almost all put back together. And I'm looking for new housing and anyone wanting to sublet a crappy basement. Between spiders and floods, I haven't been very pleased, to say the least.

But Easter itself was great - I hope yours was beautiful (and dry), too!

No comments: