Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Just Bein' Good Looking, I Guess

My bff Berkley was in town this weekend. We did a lot of fun things, ate a lot of good food, dashed through a lot of Summer rain. It was a good trip, by all counts (at least, I thought it was).

Sunday night, we went to one of my roommates' homes, where her sweet parents offered us a well-rounded meal of fish, fruits, vegetables, pasta, pesto sauce, lemons, etc, etc, etc. It was delicious. A meal I anticipate making one day myself, years from now.

Then we played some piano and had a lovely sing-along to Norah Jones, the Lion King, and Pink, and then dipped our toes in the pool outside for a bit, until rain poured down from the sky in sudden and unexpected overflowing bucketfuls. After seeking shelter inside, we settled ourselves on the couches in the living room and had our weekly gab session. GIRL TALK!

After a little while, we decided it was time to come back to our house, so we thanked her parents for a completely lovely evening and promised we'd return again soon (regardless of any invitation).

As we headed home, we turned on the radio, and I quickly told Melanie to turn back to the station she had just switched from, because the two notes I heard told me that Savage Garden's Truly, Madly, Deeply was playing, and it's my weakness. 

That song must've put us in a funny mood, because everything was suddenly goofy and we were hilarious.

So there we were, singing great songs while listening to Delilah on the radio, just being good looking and enjoying a lovely ride home together.

And then.

A car - a small suburban - started passing us on our right side. I was on the left in the back, looking at Berkley on my right as I said something, and I cut myself off mid-sentence with, "is he looking at us?" Berkley looked over and snapped her head back, "yes!" Then she giggled.

We were back in college again, flirting with boys on the road, apparently.

Roommate Melanie, in shotgun, then looked over as we passed the car again, and he pulled up again, and smiled and waved, and then turned to us, breaking out in hysterical giggles. 

It's like we hadn't seen or talked to boys in years or something. We couldn't handle it, this was so exciting (I write, as I shake my head in slight embarrassment, and slight nostalgia...)!

He smiled and waved back, and we flirted and danced back and forth on the road, passing one another, stealing glances, smiling coyly, looking away quickly after our eyes meet. I twirled a lock of hair in nervous girlishness.

In short, all the little moves I learned from Seventeen Magazine when I was, well, not yet seventeen.

(Ed. note: I think my ability to flirt peaked in 6th grade, when I tried the "make eye contact, hold eye contact for 4 seconds, then look down shyly with a smile" move on a boy named David in my math class, and it totally worked - he was hooked. You know, as well as a 6th grader can be. I've never been quite as on my game as that moment. And it's been my lament these many years.)

This went on all the way down King Street, with its many stop lights, and as we came out of Old Town, more roads joined our two, and we were separated for a short moment.

But, lo! Our car boyfriend would not desert us, and suddenly he was by our side again. With his window rolled down and his arm out to get our attention! AND...

Some other guy in the backseat!

Okay, there was no other guy in the car the whole time he was driving by us before. This guy in the back came out of nowhere! Suddenly, there was this other figure, a shadow behind the tinted back window. A second boyfriend! It was crazy and blew our minds. There were two of them! This whole time!

Melanie, being a smart, adult woman, refused to roll her window down - we're not 18 anymore! We're smarter than that! And as they kept trying to get our attention, roommate Whitney valiantly kept us just out of reach of them. At one point, another suburban blocked them from driving next to us - another small suburban with a young man who happened to see 4 young women, just laughing and being good looking, and who decided to keep looking at us and smiling until we pulled away. 

Something was in the air, these boys were drunk on the smell of Summer rain.

But boyfriend car didn't let new kid on the block steal our attention, and he saddled himself up on our side again quickly enough, waving his arm as though we hadn't seen him there yet.

And then came that moment when we had to decide which route home to take - do we turn left or go straight? 

We went to turn left, and then the suburban snuck into a turn lane as well, so we shrieked to Whitney to change lanes again and go straight. Our sensible, worldly, paranoid minds raced to the conclusion that they'd obviously follow us to our home, and we didn't know these guys! So they turned left and we waited for red to turn green so we could go forward. Once they turned left, we slightly reverted back to teenagers and regretted our decision. Until we realized we were still very happy not worrying about them following us, and that our car boyfriends were probably total hicks anyway, and we don't have time for that.

So we drove on into the night, to our home, where we parked and walked into the house, each of us singing a different song from that eventful car ride, causing wonder and worry in our neighbors as they sat on the porch next door, quietly questioning if maybe we were a little drunk, or just a little weird.

But really, we were just good looking, I guess. 

It makes a person a little giggly at times.

2 comments:

*Abby* said...

Sounds like a delicious night all around! I could feel the excitement!

Berkley said...

hehe that was such a fun night (and fun trip, in general)! Good times..