Saturday, October 3, 2009

Prelude to Memoirs

I carry notecards in my purse, just in case anything noteworthy happens in my day. No matter where, no matter when, I am prepared to jot down thoughts, experiences, sights, anything that needs to be written down. Looking at some of my notecards, it has to seem that I live a very lame life. It's not often that some grand event happens, and there are no records of celebrity sightings, but when I look back at those cards, bent and faded, I see life-shaping experiences and thoughts that have shaped future thoughts and current attitudes. I see me in those notecards, which is something that I easily lose sight of in the day-to-day routine of waking up, working all day, coming home, sitting around, going to bed, and repeat.

It turns out that most of these notecards were written on while riding the city bus to and from work. Some of my greatest thoughts of the last 10 months have come while staring out a window, going into or out of the city. Many faces with no names have made it into my thoughts and onto my cards. So it seemed fitting that, since most of what would make it on here would probably have stemmed from a thought on the bus, this blog should give credit to the very transportation that gave me time to write again. So UTA buses, thank you, you've made my transition from precocious student to wizened working woman so much more interesting.

No comments: