Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Another Loss for Storytelling

You know when you plan out exactly how something's going to go down, just to have the idea dashed?

I do, because I have an over-active imagination, so I like to dream up lots of silly, unlikely situations that I know are 99% unlikely to occur, but I feel slightly devastated when they don't happen, all the same.

This is a really poor example of one of those times:

I had a great story from my day to tell my roommates when I got home today - a silly, likely unnecessary story that they didn't have to hear, but which I thought they should know all the same, since I feel like they need to know every part of my day generally.

I wanted it to be worth telling, or, rather, worth hearing, so I planned a nice dramatic introduction. A strong, intense, but straightforward statement that I would say as soon as I threw the door to the house open, then I'd give a heaving sigh as I dropped my purse heavily on the couch. They would all ooh and ahh, give the best mock concern they could, press me for details, then settle in for the rest of the story that my entrance full of teenage angst implied. 

But as I walked up to our house, I saw a glitch in my plan - my audience wasn't home.

Boo.

One roommate was at our neighbor's, and the other was still on her way home.

I regretfully opened our front door and closed it quietly behind me.

The drama was lost.

At this point, the story is completely useless. Without the emotional introduction, it was nothing anyway, so I'll chalk that up to another devastating loss in the world of storytelling.

It would've been great.

On a side note, a general overview of my super hot (weather-wise) Duck Beach trip is TBP (to be posted). Maybe I'll have better luck with this story.

No comments: